AVI is a multimedia file format that was developed by Microsoft. Because it’s incompatible with macOS’s native media application, QuickTime, you may not be able to play it on your Mac. But worry not, because there are many third-party applications that you can use to play AVI on Mac today.
In this article, you’ll learn about 3 of the best third-party media players for macOS that support AVI and other file formats. With the help of these applications, you’ll be able to play any video you want!
1. Elmedia Player
Elmedia Player is the best option for Mac users. It’s only available on macOS and is specially optimized for Apple silicon Macs. Equipped with several useful features, Elmedia is compatible with the .avi format along with many others including MKV, FLV, VOB, and SWF.
It’s not a particularly demanding application, but you must be on macOS 10.12 to be able to run it. You can use it to stream your AVI videos to your TV via AirPlay, Chromecast, and other streaming devices.
Elmedia’s playback controls make it very convenient to watch videos. It’s also great for people who require subtitles as the application has a built-in search feature for them.
You can unlock many more features, such as picture-in-picture mode and unlimited AirPlay streaming, if you upgrade to the pro version for $19.95 (one-time fee).
How to Watch AVI on Mac with Elmedia Player
Watching AVI videos on Mac with Elmedia Player is incredibly easy. Here’s how you can do it:
- Download Elmedia Player on your Mac.
- After installing the app, open it and continue using it in free mode.
- Now there are three ways you can open an AVI video on Elmedia Player:
– You can drag and drop the video over the Elmedia interface and it’ll automatically start playing.
– You can Control-click on the video you want to play and choose Elmedia Player after hovering the cursor over Open With.
– Or you can just click on File > Open in the menu bar of Elmedia and select the AVI video you want to watch.
- It’s that simple! You’re now ready to watch your favorite AVI videos on Elmedia Player!
2. VLC Player
VLC Player is a household name in the realm of media players. It’s an excellent option for those who have multiple devices since it’s available on many operating systems, including Linux and iOS. VLC can easily handle AVI videos and other formats such as FLV, MPEG, and MP4.
This free and open-source media player has a plethora of features, which can be confusing for some users. But for more advanced users, they can be quite useful. Some of these features include custom skins, noise reduction, hardware acceleration, and deinterlacing.
The only problem is that the user interface isn’t very intuitive and new users may have a hard time navigating through its features.
5KPlayer is another free AVI video player for macOS that’s compatible with hundreds of audio and video codecs. It has a modern user interface with tons of features that enhance the viewing experience.
For example, you can broadcast your AVI videos to your TV via AirPlay or other streaming technologies. It also lets you watch IPTV and download videos directly from YouTube, Dailymotion, and Instagram.
Other than AVI, 5KPlayer supports VOB, MP4, MOV, and MKV. The only downside to this app is that since it’s free, it frequently shows ads, which may dissuade many people from using it.
Can You Convert AVI Files to a Mac-Compatible Format?
Yes, it’s possible to convert AVI videos into another format that a Mac can play natively. This is important if you want to share your videos with friends who don’t have a compatible player.
There are many online converters that can do this for free. One such tool is CloudConvert. It’s a free online service that can convert various media file formats.
Here’s how you can use it to convert AVI into another format:
- Go to the CloudConvert site and click on Select File.
- In the dropdown menu, select From my Computer.
- Find the AVI video you want to convert. Highlight it and click on Upload.
- Click on Convert to choose the output format (or the format you want to convert the AVI video into).
- Press the Convert button and the video will begin converting.
- Once it’s finished, it’ll start to download and you can play it using your Mac’s native media player.
As you can tell, there are many ways to watch AVI videos on Mac, even if it’s not compatible with the native media player. Three of the best third-party options are Elmedia, VLC, and 5KPlayer. With these applications, not only will you be able to play your AVI files without any problem, but you’ll also get access to many unique and useful features. If you don’t want to download new software, then you could also simply convert AVI videos into another format with an online converting service.